“When Weight loss is not an option, but a necessity, when extra kilos get sticky, try Bariatric Surgery!”
- T. Sharma, Dietician
Have you tried everything from changing your lifestyle, working out for hours and all those nature therapies? Are tired of visiting new doctors without having any drastic change in body weight? Are you facing various problems related to extra weight and don’t know how to get rid of it?
Well, all your problems have a solution now and the name of that solution is Bariatric surgery. Not many can boast of the perfect physique after passing the 30 year age barrier. The extra kilos are bound to get attached to your waistline. Call it lifestyle issues or craving for food, once the weight moves above the desired limit it can cause many repercussions. By the time one realises the health problems that may be caused by such weight gain, it is already fighting against time. To compound the problems, there are not many sure shot ways to lose weight. When everything fails, it is time to give Bariatric surgery a go!
Let’s hear from a Diabetic patient
“Being 42 years old and a diabetic, I was time and again instructed by my physician to lose weight. With this in mind I visited no less than 20 of the best physicians in the city, taking their medicines on a regular basis and following their diet. But I did not lose the desired weight, nothing seemed to work. Then, my colleague suggested Bariatric surgery to me. The surgery worked wonders and cut down my weight drastically. One year down the line I have the desired body weight and kept my diabetes under control.”
- Chackravarthy, Chennai
What is Bariatric Surgery and how does it work?
Bariatric Surgery is a blessing for everyone who has tried hard, day after day, to lose weight through medications, physical exercises and lifestyle compromises and have been unsuccessful in their endeavors. This weight loss surgery works like a magic and keeps you healthy. By bypassing a part of the intestine, the surgery makes sure fewer calories are absorbed by your small intestine. With fewer calories to burn, weight remains under control. Duodenal switch is the most preferred form of Malabsorptive Surgery.
What kinds of Bariatric / Metabolic Surgeries available for Diabetics?
A.) LOOP DUODENOJEJUNAL BYPASS WITH SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY (LDJB-SG) – METABOLIC SURGERY FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES
LDJB-SG is a novel metabolic procedure to treat Type 2 diabetes in both lean and obese patients. It’s a safe, feasible and shows good efficacy in terms of glycemic control (93.4%). It was developed to have a better quality of life and better control of diabetes than gastric bypass.
Components of LDJB-SG
- Sleeve gastrectomy to cause calorie restriction
- Pylorus Preservation to avoid dumping
- Duodenal exclusion to suppress the anti-incretin effect (Fore -Gut theory)
- Depending on the C- peptide levels, 200-300cm of proximal jejunum is bypassed and duodenojejunal anastomosis is made. This causes earlier exposure of the Hind gut to food.
- All components of LDJB-SG together cures Type 2 diabetes by causing calorie restriction, several hormonal changes such as reduced Ghrelin, increased GLP1 and peptide YY. These hormones stimulate beta cells in pancreas to stimulate increased secretion of insulin, provided enough beta cell mass is still present in pancreas. Persistent increased GLP-1 secretion increases beta cell mass in the long term.
B.) LAPAROSCOPIC ROUX-EN-Y GASTRIC BYPASS (METABOLIC SURGERY)
Creation of a small, 30cc pouch from the upper stomach, accompanied by bypass of the remaining stomach is done. This reduces your appetite and makes you feel satiated with smaller portions.Then the small intestine is divided 150cm from the ligament of Treitz and a Biliopancreatic limb is created. A Roux limb is created using 100cm of small intestine. Reconstruction of GI tract is done to form a Roux-en-Y anastomosis. Biliopancreatic limb length of 150cm causes neurohormal changes in the GI tract to ameliorate Type 2 diabetes.
Why I need to undergo Bariatric Surgery?
It is not easy to win the confidence of one who has tried it all and failed. But that is where Bariatric surgery comes into the equation. When you have given every other treatment a chance and nothing has quite worked, you should try out this surgery. And trust us, it will take many pains from your life.
- Obesity: As you know when the BMI (Body Mass Index) goes above 40, you are quickly classified as Obese. But in most instances, Obesity brings with it other serious ailments such as hypertension, impaired glucose tolerance, diabetic mellitushyperlipidemia and obstructive sleep apnea. The longer you stay obese, the symptoms worsen. This is why obesity should be controlled at the earliest and that too without many experiments.
- Diabetes: Now, diabetes with obesity is a deadly combination. The symptoms of diabetes just get worse when the BMI is not under control. Often getting rid of extra weight helps you keep diabetes at bay. And Bariatric surgery can help to do just that.
- Quick Solution: To be frank: do you like that time spent working out? Do you like to gulp all those weight loss pills all through the day? And yet they cannot assure enough weight loss. So, save yourself from all the irritation!
- Cut Mortality chances: According to a study Bariatric surgery can reduce the mortality rate by 23% -40%. When the body weight remains under control you can have a longer and healthier life. That is dreams come true for many individuals!
Need some more reasons before you make the final decision? Ok, read on.
Effectiveness of Bariatric / Metabolic Surgery
Post surgery, you can anticipate a drastic weight loss in the first 10 months. But wait that does not mean the effectiveness of this surgery dies down after that. You will feel the lessening of fat for 36 months to 60 months after the surgery. Apart from weight loss, the surgery also keeps you away from the below given disorders:
- Cures sleep apnea
- Improves metabolic syndrome
- Controls hypertension
- Helps reduce arthritis and joint pains
- Improves physical agility
- Boosts Psychological health
- Provides renewed confidence
How to prepare for Bariatric Surgery?
If you are suffering from any of the above mentioned medical conditions (add diabetes to it), your doctor may suggest a Bariatric surgery. Before starting the procedure, there are some dos and don’ts:
- Your doctor must carefully check your physical and mental stamina to undergo this surgery.
- The benefits as well as the risks must be discussed with you thoroughly.
- You may be suggested to quit smoking.
- You need to reduce some weight before the surgery.
- The blood sugar level should be under control.
- You need to avoid aspirin or any other such products at least one week prior to the surgery.
- Do not take any herbal supplements for a week before the surgery
- 24-48 hours before the surgery, you need to drink only clear water.
Tips to adjust in a new life after Bariatric Surgery
After this weight loss surgery, you may find yourself a different person with lots of energy and hope. To cope up with this “new you” some steps are needed:
- During the first few weeks you have to stay on a liquid diet. Solid food can be administered only after some weeks. You need to co-operate with the nutritionist and follow the diet plan.
- You need to change your lifestyle to live a healthier life.
- Eat small portions of meal throughout the day.
- Consume ample supplements to fortify your immunity.
- Physical activity for 30 minutes a day is advised.
- Think of the positive advantages if you feel frustrated over the changed lifestyle and diets.
- You need to consult a doctor if you have any other questions.
So, make Bariatric Surgery your only weight loss option, not the last one! Come feel the magic of healthier life.
Register Now to Get a callback from Medical Expert.